22.1.07

some kind of monster

last night i got the chance to finally see the Metallica doco "some kind of monster", now like every kid who grew up in the 90's i had a tape copy of the black album that got a pretty good work over on the walkman, (thats what kids did before napster larz!) it also inspired the love of riffs played way too loud in music rooms at lunch time.

I must admit though that the doco was both hilarious and enlightening, here are the gods of metal in therapy! but the funny thing was that after seeing the "real" metallica i sorta got to like these guys as ordanay people with a pretty wacky job.

... but what would the die hard metal fan think? one who saw James, Kurt and Larz as the uber metal band! I reckon they might be in a bit of disarray, but i think that the "realness" probably won over a whole new generation of fans...

So here is the deal, even in the ego driven world of metal we see a longing to see our stars as real people but in the church are we willing to be that honest?

we seem to get bombarded with a slick home grown "all together" type pastor who wants you to reach the level of perfection that he himself has already obtained....

but is this the best model? can any leader actually live up to this? and does the next generation WANT leaders like this?

i know for myself that leadership can be "some kind of monster" when people look to you for answers or direction i know i quite often think "i don't have it together enough to answer that..."

as this next generation emerges into leadership of the church i really hope that we can be real about the "monster" of leadership.

i pray that as i seek to lead a bunch of people following Jesus that it can be a community that accepts the weakness both in leadership and in each other....

when it comes to church i like the old saying "we are just beggars telling other beggars where to get the bread"

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 4:22 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

In the words of one Famous Band "I put you on a pedal stool and I wait for you to fall"

What happans to preachers/parstors who are actually honest! They get kicked out of office! Is the church ready to forgive its own leaders? Recent history tells us NO! would you follow a leader with faults?

I guess what I am trying to say is it worse to follow a honest leader who you know lies cheats and steals OR worse to follow a leader who is dishonest about practicing what he preaches???

What are you going to do Andy be boldly honest or put on a preaching mask and hide the facts .. ?

 
At 5:08 pm, Blogger andy said...

well i hope to be honest.... i mean if your unrepentant about the things you struggle with im sure thats not a good thing....

but if you are saying "i struggle with this stuff, i know many of us do... lets all fall on the grace of Jesus to beable to heal us..."

thats honesty i think we can follow...

 
At 8:42 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Dang it, I was hoping you would choose "facil and mask-preachin'" after that article denoucing it.

Remember that I read this in the Lark News last month;

http://larknews.com/december_2006/secondary.php?page=3

 
At 7:38 am, Blogger Barry said...

andy - I like all sorts of music...


and I agree - the 'perfect' model to follow is downright unrealistic...

but then again - I am EXTRA fallible - if you don't believe me - ask sarah

 
At 9:10 am, Blogger kelgell said...

Well, I don't know what your church is like coz i live in Victoria. But I LOVE realness especially in the church. There's something so raw and alive about it. A few years ago the feeling of "I'm supposed to be a certain type of Christian" drove me into hard and challenging path I still walk today. I felt like it was all so fake. I've been walking a path of personal realness--even admitting in my church my struggle with really knowing who Jesus is to me. (A lot of it is faith vs feelings) A lot of people gave me hugs and encouraged me afterward and said they've been through times like that too. It was really nice. I find it comforting hearing that others, even leaders, have made some terrible mistakes in the past or struggle with issues. I don't feel so alone in my own troubles then and I feel more hopeful of being able to make it through. Fake religions aren't satisfying. I forever want a raw and alive relationship with Christ. The walk isn't easy but it sure is worth it.

 
At 9:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fully support honesty. In saying that, I don't want to follow a leader than has more faults/issues than I have. Some leaders also seem to brag about their struggles and use the honesty card as an excuse rather than honestly trying to battle it. It's a fine line.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home